Acai berry is a slightly dark purple (sometimes blue) berry which originated from the Brazilian Amazon rainforest. Considered to be one of the most nutritious and powerful superfoods in the world, Acai has been used for over a century due to its legendary healing properties by the Brazilian natives. As a matter of fact, Acai berry got its mainstream popularity after it was featured on Oprah Winfrey’s Top 10 Superfoods due to its outstanding health benefits as a powerful and potent longevity promoting superfood.
Why Is Acai Berry A Superfood?
The potent health benefits of Acai berries go beyond the rich supply of antioxidants. Acai contains high levels of anthocyanin that help protect the human body from harmful free radicals which often develop due to the exposures to UV rays and metabolic processes in the body.
Acai berries have a rich supply of omega fats, offering a healthy dose of unsaturated fats. Its content of Omega 3, 6 and 9 fats are proven to lower the LDL and maintain the HDL cholesterol levels.
Besides that, for every 100grams of the berries, it supplies almost 45grams of fiber, thus its fiber content may help combat cases of colon cancers and stomach problems, as well as improving regularity within the small and large intestines.
Acai berries may be termed as a superfood due to its high protein and amino acid content. It contains at least 19 different amino acids.
Another significant feature of Acai berries is its content of the plant sterols (B-sitosterol, sigmasterol, and campesterol), which helps to keep the heart healthy as well as helping in digestive functions. Its high assortment of minerals and vitamins further promotes its superfood status, because Acai richly supplies Vitamins B1, B2, B3, C and E. For every 100grams of Acai, a person diet is supplemented with 1000IU of Vitamin A. Those who consume the Acai berries, also benefit from a rich supply of calcium, potassium, copper, zinc, and magnesium.
Acai has an extremely high ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorption Capacity) score, which measures the capacity of antioxidants in foods. Its ORAC value is more than 6000.Also impressive are its copious amounts of phytonutrients, keeping most researchers and scientist on their toes as they try to catalog and identify the numerous health benefits of Acai berries. Particularly Acai is a rich source of anthocyanin’s flavonoids.
What are some of the health benefits of Acai Berry?
- Based on a recent research, Acai Berries help produce and regenerate stem cells. Basically, stem cells are the embryos of each cell. They help us heal faster and rejuvenate by becoming any cells that need repair in the body, for instance, stem cells become connective tissue cells, muscle cells or even nerve cells. The more our bodies produce stem cells, the more it regenerates and the longer we live.
- The high amounts of plant sterols, especially the B-sitosterol helps in the inhibition of the absorption of excessive cholesterol, especially from the animal sources within the GI tracts. Besides that, its high content of dietary fiber helps indigestions and prevention of constipation.
- In a recent study by the University of Florida, Acai extracts triggered a self-destructive response up to 90% of the tested leukemia cells. This was attributed to its rich content of antioxidants. The high levels of antioxidants may possibly prevent or slow down the development of cancers. The anthocyanin present in Acai prevents the proliferation of the free radicals by stabilizing the free radicals. Anthocyanin also exhibits chemopreventive, radiation protection, and anti-inflammatory and vasoprotective properties. Besides the high anthocyanin levels, the Omega-9(Oleic acid) prevents cancer-causing oncogenes, from being induced to actions.
- Offers anti-inflammatory properties especially those that suffer from cases of arthritis and rheumatism. Its high levels of antioxidants provide protection against oxidative damages by inhibiting cyclooxygenase (COX 1 and 2) activities and the activation of the NF-kB pathways. Its high content of antioxidants slows down or reverse any aging processes that are related to any oxidative damages. Free radicals are often responsible for wear and tear of our bodies which often lead to aging.
- Acai promotes a healthy heart. This is attributed to the contents of the plant sterols as mentioned above. The presence of the fiber content also provides a positive impact on the cholesterols levels in the blood and cardiovascular system.
- It also helps improve the overall immune system of a person. Acai is a rich source of Vitamin B, C, and E which are significant for a healthy immune and strong immune system. Some research also shows that the antioxidants in the Acai Berries have the ability to enter the body cells in functional form and thus performs the oxygen-quenching function in minimal doses, hence promoting a healthy immune system.
- Acai berries also contain high amounts of amino acids the building blocks of the human body thus it promotes muscle performance, endurance, strength, and energy production.
- The Omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids help to lower the LDL while maintaining the beneficial cholesterol, the HDL. They combat heart diseases by increasing the developments of healthy cells. Besides that, the omega fatty acids are significant for body regeneration and maintenance of a healthy nervous system.
- Acai berries may help improve boost memory and cognitive functions. Oxidative stress and inflammations are the leading causes of cognitive problems. Acai has protective effects on the brain cells through its suppressing biological activities of the anthocyanin which degrades the cellular integrities. In some cases, Acai berry has been termed as an adaptogen, meaning that it could disrupt any hormonal imbalance by raising the cortisol levels, hence reducing the stress levels in a person.
Are there any side effects of the Acai Berries?
There are no major known side effects of acai berries except for the people who have pollen allergies or are sensitive to any other type of berries. However, if consumed in moderate portions, Acai berries are safe to consume.